I am Marilyn M. Petitto Devaney and I have been very honored to serve as your Governor's Councillor (District 3) for nineteen years. I respectfully ask for your continued support with your vote on Tuesday, September 4th.
I represent 32 towns and cities from Ayer to Back Bay- 5 senate districts with 800,000 people living in the district. It is larger than a congressional district so it is very difficult for me to reach all the people I represent and to advise them of the importance of the Governor's Council.
Unfortunately most people do not know what the Governor's Council does. We are the only elected body who serve as the checks and balances for the Governor.
- Only Full-Time Councillor
- Only Councillor who meets with every nominee- Parole Board, Industrial Accident Board, Appellate Tax Board, Judge, Clerk Magistrate - 3-4 Hours
- Being full time - she vets nominees - investigates thoroughly.
- Doesn't Accept Travel Expenses
- Marilyn is not a lawyer- **Law allows a Lawyer who is an elected Governor’s Councillor to appear before the judges they voted on
- In nineteen years has cast nearly 1000 voted from boards to judges- with strongest proven record voting for diversity and women
- Attends Parole Board hearings to observe Members - how the hearings are conducted
- Visit Prisons
- Attends Court Sessions (sit in the back) to observe judges
- Testify in State House on Bills - i.e. Against Minimum Mandatory Sentencing
- Is not a Rubber Stamp - Votes only on Qualified Nominees
- 1st Majority of Women ever on Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court
- 1ST African American Man- Justice Ireland for Chief Justice
- 1st Jewish American Man- Judge Gants for Chief Justice)
- 1st Openly Gay - Justice Lenks
- 1st African American Woman- Justice Hines
- 1st Asian American Woman - Justice Duffly
- 2nd African American Woman - Justice Budd
- Justice Elspeth Cypher
In all commissions and boards- compassion is most important.
- Parole Board
Have an understanding of addiction, mental issues and believe that some offenders need a second chance – keep repeat offenders incarcerated to protect our neighborhoods.
- Industrial Accident Board
Members are compassionate- to those who are trying to put food on the table for their families. NOTE: Country is looking at Massachusetts Industrial Board as a role model Chair- Omar Hernandez has established a Commission on Opiods as he observes those before the board are drug addicted.
- Appellate Tax Board
Urge homeowners if they want to appeal their local taxes- they can go before the board to seek relief.